LEAGUE SANCTION RULE (27-14-1) -- "No member school shall permit its teams or individual representatives to compete in any type of athletic meet or tournament in which three or more schools participate unless that meet or tournament has been expressly sanctioned by the Executive Director." Exceptions: Contests, meets or tournament sponsored by districts or regions as part of the League program, or indoor/outdoor track, wrestling, gymnastics, cross country and golf involving no more than four schools.)
NOTE: VHSL cannot sanction events involving club teams.
INSTRUCTIONS: Type or print and email one (1) copy to Lora Bickley at the VHSL office no less than 16 days in advance of meet.
STANDARDS FOR SANCTIONING MEETS OR TOURNAMENTS
This application shall be completed, in detail, and submitted no less than 15 days in advance of the date for the meet or tournament, along with the $50 processing fee. An additional $50 will be assessed for sanctions submitted less than 15 days or less prior o the tournament Meets and tournaments which received League sanction will be announced in a League publication. Each request for sanction will be evaluated in light of established League policies. Factors such as distance to be traveled, time lost from school, number of of games required per day, commercial exploitation of competing teams, and similar items will be considered in the evaluation of each contest, meet or tournament. Sanction will not be granted to meets or tournaments:
1. Which do not conform to standards listed on this form.
2. Which conflict with League-sponsored events or are scheduled after the culminating activity in that sport.
3. In which non-high school teams are invited to participate unless satisfactory entrance requirements are established and enforced.
4. Which are sponsored or conducted by other than educational institutions, unless the event was sanctioned prior to 1970.
5. In which any school denied participation in sanctioned events are invited.
If sanction is granted, I obligate the sponsoring education institution to comply with the following conditions for sanction:
1. To admit to this meet or tournament only such Virginia Public secondary schools as are members in good standing of the Virginia High School League or those schools which agree to comply with the individual eligibility requirements of the League, or schools which follow regulations governing nonpublic schools when engaging in contests with VHSL member schools. If any non-public schools invited to this event do not agree to the preceding conditions, we will advise all VHSL schools in advance so that they may decided wither or not to complete.
2. To conduct the meet or tournament in accordance with Virginia High School League rules and regulations.
3. Officials for sanctioned meets: Officials for varsity baseball, basketball, cheer, field hockey, football gymnastics, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming, volleyball, wrestling and either the starter or the referee in outdoor track shall be on the authorized officials' list of the assistant director (27-6-1). In addition, officials must be assigned through a VHSL recognized officials association.
4. To limit awards to those which are permitted under Virginia High School League rules.
5. To furnish the Executive Director of the Virginia High School League, if requested, such information concerning the meet or tournament as he may need necessary for record or for further sanction consideration.